3.12.2011

What a day!

I guess Mar turning 40 was a shocker to Japan! The morning started off quite peaceful. Mar woke up to his favorite orange crepe suzettes for breakfast and went into work a bit late. I ran some errands in the early afternoon and was just settling on the sofa with Kian when I felt a small tremor which most of us in Japan are used to feeling. Then I saw the leaves on our house plant shaking and felt the tremors continue. Out of panic, I grabbed Kian, my Ergo, wallet and phone.. and ran out of the house. A few neighbors were already on the street and we stood there helpless as the tremors increased making it hard for us to stand still. Seconds later, I think we all realized that this was not just any earthquake, and we cuddled together and experienced the worse recorded earthquake in Japan.

The ground was rolling, parked cars were shifting sideways, and the high-risers at the end of our street were swaying uncontrollably. People were screaming and running out of buildings and all we could do was stand there helpless in the middle of the street, legs trembling and shaking, praying the worst was over. It was a long one... or felt like it was minutes before it was over. We all stared blankly at each other for a minute or so until the shaking stopped and to sink in what had just happened. But leave it to Tokyoites, it was back to business, off to run errands for most people. Not for me.. I went back into my house to grab my coat, and check on Maddie. Books had fallen off our shelves and Maddie was shaking with fear. The aftershocks started and the clanking of the windows and dishes made me nervous so I went outside again and stood on the street while Kian napped in the baby carrier. Mar came home soon after which was such a relief... at least we were all safe.

We all gathered at my mom's (felt better to be all together), decided to cancel the dinner reservations for Mar's birthday dinner and had an impromptu dinner party with takeout from an Italian restaurant nearby. Typically they only allow pizzas for take-out but we brought in our own serving plates to take out pastas, meats and cake. It wasn't exactly a celebratory dinner as we watched the disaster and aftermath unfold on the news but I'm happy that we're all safe and could be together to remember this day! Mar's BIG 40! Happy Birthday!

The Clan.. in retrospect, the restaurant dinner may have been a disaster with all these kids!
Birthday Boy
Family shot with a special appearance by cuzzin Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment