There's a Japanese tradition to go to a shrine and pray for safe delivery (anzan) in your 5th month. Suitengu Shrine located about 10 miles from our house is dedicated to conception and safe childbirth and approx. 500 pregnant women visit this shrine daily from all over the country, especially on dog day of the Japanese calendar. (Dogs give birth to lots of puppies and have relatively low stress labor thus are considered of good luck at this shrine). Realizing that I was in my last week of my 5th month, we made our way to the shrine on Saturday even though it wasn't Dog Day. Hey, at least we got 1 out of 2 right!
It's also good luck to purchase an "obi" which is a cloth that pregnant women wrap around their belly to support their baby so although I wasn't thrilled to spend $40 on a piece of cloth (which I'll probably never use), I figured it couldn't hurt and made my donation and came home with one. Somehow, I couldn't help but think that this shrine was banking off pregnant women.... there were a few kiosks on the side of the shrine selling maternity clothes and bras!! But what can I say.. I got suckered into it too... anything for a safe delivery! I thought I'd put it to use at least for one day, even if it's just for a kodak moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment