Stop reading if you get grossed out easily...
My mom just showed me this wooden box last night.. and guess what's in it? You'll never guess..
my UMBILICAL CORD! Yes, my dear mom has kept this for 33 years, with her even across the Pacific Ocean and back.
Kinda gross.. but sort of neat? Apparently back when I was born, it was a standard at Japanese hospitals to save the umbilical cord and offer it to the mother as a keepsake in a wooden box, with all the baby's details on the back of the box. No longer a standard or tradition, I remember just a month ago Leon was playing with Coco's umbilical cord on my mom's dining room table. Groooss! :)
I wonder how the tradition ended up dying? The board of doctors and hospitals got together one day to vote if umbilical cord giving was necessary or not?

I kept Mason's, not in a wooden box though. I have mine somewhere.. with my mom. I thought Japanese still do this? Maybe not.. I know it's kind of gross, but if you think about it, this cord kept my baby alive for the whole 9 month and it was the only thing that connected us when he was inside. And it was the only evidence that he came out of me!!!! It should be cherished!! I guess :)
ReplyDelete