"Bento (boxed lunch) making" is a big-time hobby in Japan, especially for stay-at-home moms. There are endless books on bento designs, competitions on the cutest bentos and recipes created, and actual people whose jobs are titled "bento designers" (not exactly sure who pays them but...) Here are some examples..... clearly, some people have WAY too much time on their hands.
Although my work cafeteria serves lunch for 250yen, after eating there daily for 3 years, I grew sick and tired of it and have been making my own lunch for the past 2 years or so. I started out with sandwiches, salads, stews and soups but that got pretty boring as well, so I started experimenting with my own bento making.
(There's a mini salmon fillet hidden under what looks like gooey mush on the top. It's actually asparagus and mushroom soy stew over salmon.)
As you can see, I've got a long way to go before my bentos make it into any competitions, and a lot of times, I fill some empty spaces with frozen dumplings or edamame out of laziness but here's a peak into tomorrow's lunch. I think baby LG is happier eating this than cafeteria food! Bon Apetit to me and baby LG. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment