8.07.2010

Matsuri time

One of our favorite pastimes in the summer is going to a summer matsuri (festivals) which are held in towns all over Japan, bringing back a nostalgic feeling of "community life" where everyone really comes together and pitches in for a festival spanning a few days of food, traditional dancing, taiko drum performances, etc. It's also such a great excuse to guzzle tons of icy cold beer in the afternoon and snack on terribly bad-for-you-stall-foods and not feel too bad about it. This summer's been a bit different as beer drinking (or at least lots of it) has been out of the picture for me but nonetheless, we came across a really quaint festival outside of central Tokyo on our way home from running errands. We were lucky and caught the opening taiko drum performance... such a simple instrument but so dynamic in so many ways.




Back at home.. mosquitoes are in full force this summer and ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JUICY PREGNANT FLESH. I go out to the garden to take Mads out for a quick wee and I get bitten in 3-4 places. Slick little suckers... I'm at war with them so Mars has to take on the duty of watering the garden.

And today's treat of the day: Cinnamon sugar malasadas... a deep fried sweet dough confection (aka donuts without a hole) from Good Days Malasada which recently opened in our hood. Yummy.. I could have devoured 5 of them.

                                         


1 comment:

  1. Those malasadas look good! I can't believe you have only 11 days left. Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete