8.13.2010

More doughnuts.. and I don't even really like doughnuts that much!

I am 39wk01days today. Welcome to my last week of my pregnancy... or technically, what should be my last week. My day started off with my weekly visit to the DRs and the usual fetal non-stress test. The test results showed that Baby LG is very active but has no intentions of entering the world anytime soon as I didn't even have one mini Braxton Hicks contractions/mini contractions during the course of the 30 minute test. By 39 weeks, it's pretty typical to be experiencing contractions throughout the day. As for me, ZERO.  Then the midwife checked out my belly and said that Baby LG's head is still chilling out under my belly button, when in fact he should probably be way down in my pelvis. Laaazy...

So I'm advised once again to continue walking 2 hours a day, and rather than just 50 squats, it would be better for me to watch TV for an hour or so in squat position, whilst spreading my knees as far apart as possible with my elbows. Right... ok! Then I'm told that I've hit my max with my weight gain (25.5lbs to date) and to not gain any more weight until I deliver. Don't they have any good news for me? I'm told the 2 hour walk will help the baby drop and also control my weight gain. Great.. tell me something I don't know.

A few hours later, I picked up a few malasada donuts which I introduced a few days ago for my sister and her kids and was heading back to drop them off and lucky me, I discover another new doughnut shop just down the street from my house. “Love Sweets Antique” sells ”Toronama Donuts”, the world's first un-baked donuts which melt in your mouth. 

 

The devil's advocate in me reminded me of what my doctor said this morning, but I convinced myself that it's my last week to indulge and got in line. Yes, I actually waited in line for 30 minutes for a doughnut.

I always made fun of Japanese people because we love lines and will line up for anything. When Burger King and Krispy Kreme first opened here, people waited for over an hour. There were even security guards to make sure the lines moved smoothly. The longer the line, the more people want to line up and buy whatever it is people are lining up for. It's a cheap PR tactic .. personal opinion, which I totally fell for this afternoon.

After waiting in line for 15 minutes, I was told that the doughnuts were not sold individually and are only available in a 4+ box. Great.. 4 more in addition to the 3 malasadas already in my hands. Then as I got up to the counter, I realized there were frozen ice cream donuts too so I had to buy a half dozen of those too. Must try'em out since I had already waited in line for 30 minutes.



Final verdict:  They were more like a sponge cake with fruit jelly layered on top in a doughnut shape, served very chilled.  Interesting and worth a try but I'd go back for a malasada over these.

Now I'm off to take a walk, do some squats and aerobics to burn these suckers off and help Baby LG drop, drop, drop!

No comments:

Post a Comment